Re: [Groff] Doubly slanted Greek in PDF

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Doubly slanted Greek in PDF
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:34:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > >Though I'm guessing that 7.05 has the problem with ZDR which Werner
> > >drew our attention to.  BTW, just tried pstill on the same file,
> > >and it also places the \(rh glyph in the wrong place.  Can anyone
> > >try out Acrobat on Werner's file?
> >
> > Yes, it has the problem.
>
> Do you mean that you've run Acrobat Distiller on groff's PS result?
>
> > I think the problem is in the actual postscript programs used to
> > create both synthetic fonts, as Tadziu Hoffman has already pointed
> > out elsewhere, JawsPDF exhibits similar problems, and it is 95%
> > compatible with Adobe Distiller 4.  That's the reason I made the
> > GroffDingbats font ;-)
>
> Today I've investigated the problem a bit more deeply.  gs 8 seems to
> be broken in many ways (I really wonder how this version could be ever
> released) -- for example, you can't get unencoded PDF: `ps2pdf
> -dUseFlateCompression=false foo.ps' doesn't work.  Sigh.

another bug in gs 8: it includes subsets of the standard postscript fonts
when distilling grops output - it doesn't seem to recognize them.
Telling it not to subset fonts at all leads to disastrous results (i.e.,
files with no font information whatsoever, and all test replaced by black
dots).  This bug is new with gs 8.

> The offset problems are simply bugs in gs.

But the *same* bug is in Distiller, pstill and JawsPDF?

Robert.