Re: [Groff] refer and Dutch names

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer and Dutch names
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:19:07 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Christian Jensen wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Robert D. Goulding wrote:
>
> > no-discard
> > sort Z1A1
>        ^^
>
> Hmm, I have discovered an unfortunate side-effect of using the Z field in
> the sort option. I use the APA style reference (or label) in the text in
> the form of Lastname (year) rather than numbers, but starting the sort
> option with anything but 'A' (author) makes refer use the whole author
> string '@' instead.
>
> This may not be so bad for the 't Hart reference which becomes (J. 't
> Hart 2003) instead of ('t Hart 2003), but it is very unfortunate for one
> of my references which becomes (K. E. A. Silverman, M. E. Beckman, M.
> Ostendorf,  C.  W. Wightman, P. Price, J. Pierrehumbert, and
> J. Hirschberg 1992) instead of (Silverman et al. 1992).
>
> I don't see a way around this, but maybe others do?

Hmm, I see your problem, and it does seem difficult to get around it
(except, perhaps, by a complicated label expression).  Can you post your
.R1 .R2 block and any refer-related macros?

> > 't Hart appears between Goulding and Iguana, as expected.  BTW, why use \'
> > instead of just '?  Is it normal Dutch typography to have an acute accent
> > like that?
>
> I don't know much about Dutch names in general, but this one is normally
> written with the acute accent.  Btw, what is the difference between ' and
> \(cq? I could not find any references to the latter in my documentation
> (old troff manual, groff_char.7 etc.).

\(cq is in groff_char.7:

       '       \[cq]  quoteright       u2019          single closing quote

In devps fonts, it's defined as an alias for '.  See, for instance,
devps/TR lines 217-8.

Robert.