Re: [Groff] need advice on choosing a macro

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] need advice on choosing a macro
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:19:35 +0100

On Wed Jan 29 13:27:29 2003, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can some one advise on which macro a newbie to g/troff should use?

Personally, I prefer -ms.  It's pretty easy to use and doesn't get
in your way as much as I felt -mm did.  Haven't tried the others.

But there are features absent in -ms that are present in -me and -mm (and
-mom).  I'm sure others can elaborate, but the general advice you hear is to
avoid -ms for longer documents.

> And is there any comparison between the macros?

I haven't seen one.

> It seems to me the "ms" macro is most widely used and has
> documentation available. I don't mean manpage.

No, the manpages suck as tutorials.  But documentation *is* available for
all packages.  Some starting points:

- the UTP Revival Project
- http://www.troff.org/
- http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/system/usrdoc/usd/

and possibly this piece which I wrote last year:

- http://www.algonet.se/~jgrahn/troff_overview.pdf

BR,
Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "And then the design was ignored, and small children
\X/ <address@hidden>  with crayons were given the O'Reilly Perl books and