Re: [Groff] UTP - fixed source tarball (and let's start indexing)]

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP - fixed source tarball (and let's start indexing)]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:13:39 -0500

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:23:51PM -0500, Larry Kollar wrote:

> I seem to remember Jon saying that the verso issue is
> fixed, is that true?

Yes.  I haven't downloaded the new tarball yet, but the last one
built correctly with the new macros.  If anyone has any problems
in this area, please let me know.

> But I *know* we need to do the indexing.
> Before we all start grabbing chapters, we should probably
> nail down the tag/macro name we're going to use. Chapter
> 17 of the UTP provides the following as examples:
>
>   .XX "entry" \" page number
>   .XN "entry" \" non-numbered (e.g. a 'Foo, see also Bar' entry)
>   .IS "entry"
>   .IE "entry" \" page-range entry ('Foo, 1-3 to 1-5')

I recommend that we use the Kernighan and Bentley indexing scripts to
do this.  You can find the paper and software at
<http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/netlib/typesetting/indexing.tools.gz>.
These (awk) scripts do a lot of the grunt work for you (things like
worrying about ranges, etc.) and let you easily make font changes
(e.g. set groff in courier).  The other advantage is that you only
need a single macro (.IX), so it's a little easier to use.

If people can insert the .IX stuff into the text, I'll be happy to take
care of generating and formatting the index.  I used the Kernighan and
Bentley scripts for my book, so I'm familiar with the process.

Jon Snader