Re: [Groff] widow/orphan control?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] widow/orphan control?
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 12:38:04 +0000

Hi Ken,

> How do I accomplish widow/orphan control in groff (I'm using -me
> macros)?
>
> I want to avoid page breaks after the first line

I think -me does that automatically as part of the .pp, etc., macros.
The troff request is .ne, e.g.

    .ne 2

means 2v of vertical space is needed.

> or before the last line of a paragraph.  I thought groff could do
> this, but I don't see how.

That's more tricky.  You need to put the paragraph into a diversion and
at the end look at the height of the paragraph and the remaining space
on the page and do something appropriate.

Your email appeared on address@hidden recently.

    Groff maillist  -  address@hidden