Re: [Groff] Line width per cell of table.

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] Line width per cell of table.
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:46:47 -0800 (PST)

Ah, then the documentation is deficient.  I don't have time
to look it up right now (will try to do it later) but you do
it with a w(x.xi) next to the l, c, r or whatever that you
use to specify the justification for the table.  If you have
multiple specifier lines, you only have to do it on one.  I
usually avoid doing it on a line that has s (scan across multiple
columns) because you kind of lose control.

For example, you might specify a 4-column table like this:

  .TS
  lBw(2i) lw(0.75i) cw(1.25i) rw(2.0i).

The first column is bold and 2 inches; second column is 0.75 inches,
the third column is centered and 1.25i, and the last column is right-
justified and 2.0 inches.  You can use other units of measurement, too --
it's actually recommended but I find it easier to just use inches -- would
have to look up the other measurements -- I think it's picas.  And I don't
know what the HTML output is with these measurements.

You can specify the width for just one or two columns and let the others
adjust automatically.  With most *roff's I've used, when you use text blocks
(T{ <text> T} ) it tends to wrap into a fairly narrow column unless you
specify the column width.

Does this tell you what you need?
Meg