Re: [Groff] Attaching a string to the beginning of each line?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Attaching a string to the beginning of each line?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:01:39 +0100 (CET)

> >> I'm currently thinking about how to simulate email replies in groff.
> >
> > Do you want the text filled, i.e. re-formatted to the current line
> > length, or left along with the line breaks of the original email?
>
> Yes, it needs to be filled.  Otherwise it would be trivial.
>
> Basically what I'm looking for is something like a filled indent:
> normally an indent just has spaces on the left, but I want >
> characters.

This is not possible currently (well, maybe it is, but a macro
solution would be rather fragile I believe).  From troff's TODO list:

  A line prefix request to make e.g. French quotation possible:

    He said: >> blablablabla
    >> blablabla blabla  bla
    >> blabla blabla bla bla
    >> bla bla bla blablabla
    >> blabla. <<

Email quotations are the same from a typographical point of view.

Perhaps you can `abuse' margin characters to implement a hack (using
properly defined margin characters `>',  `> >', `> > >', etc.).