Re: Re: [Groff] 1.18.1 with mm overflow problem

From: kollar
Subject: Re: Re: [Groff] 1.18.1 with mm overflow problem
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:03:24 -0500

> Hi, Bob's come up with a test.  Ralph.

Confirmed.

In groff 1.15 on a LinuxPPC box that's in desparate
need of an upgrade, I get two (apparantly spurious)
warnings:

test:55: warning: tab character in unquoted macro
argument
test:56: warning: tab character in unquoted macro
argument

There are no tab characters in those positions.

In groff 1.18 on a Debian (x86) laptop, I get the fatal
error that bobm mentions. Line 78 is the .SK macro,
which is supposed to skip to the next page. The PS
file consists of the correct first page, then 199 blank
pages (at which point groff apparantly bombs out).

Looking at m.tmac for both 1.15 and 1.18, the definition
of .SK hasn't changed. Just for reference, here's what
SK looks like:

.de SK
.br
.bp
.nr pg*i 0 1
.\" force new page by writing something invisible.
.while \\n+[pg*i]<=(0\\$1) \{\
\&
.    bp
.\}
..

The other interesting thing I see here is that bobm has
defined a replacement .SK and is still getting the error.
I confirmed that groff *is* picking up the replacement by
inserting a .tm in it. So it's not the .while statement as I
first thought.

Next, I replaced .SK by .br and .bp, and the fatal error
occurs in the .bp -- and that's about as far as I can take
it for now. I suspect that a bug in address@hidden or one of
its supporting macros.

If nobody else beats me to it, I'll try it tonight on my
home desktop (1.17.2) to see if the error occurs there
too.

    Larry