RE: [Groff] Color and older PS printers

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Color and older PS printers
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:08:21 +0100 (BST)

On 16-Oct-02 Mike Bishop wrote:

>      I have an aged QMS PS 410 laser (along with others) on my
>      network.  Postscript generated with the 1.18.1 groff failes
>      to print on this device--that generated with 1.17.2 has no
>      problem.
>
>      A diff between files generated by each version (with the -c
>      option on 1.18.1)) gives assorted setxxxcolor/setgray etc.,
>      commands.  The QMS printer reports "Postscript Version
>      52.4".
>
>      So, /should/ older PS printers work, or is their some other
>      method for defeating color on some printers, not on others
>      (for example, some special option to grops)?

One thing to consider is that

  setcmykcolor
  setcolor
  setcolorrendering
  setcolorscreen
  setcolorspace
  setcolortransfer
  sethalgtone
  setundercolorremoval

are Level-2 PS colour-relevant commands, while

  setgray
  sethsbcolor
  setrgbcolor

are Level-1. While Level-2 had come in by around 1990, a lot of PS
printers didn't implement it, or only partially implemented it,
until later.

This may be relevant to your observations.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972