RE: [Groff] Inserting raw PostScript output

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Inserting raw PostScript output
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:52:43 +0100 (BST)

On 10-Oct-02 Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I'm playing around with some macros to change text colour in
> PostScript output from groff.  I've written the following macro:
>
>   .de colour
>   \X'ps: exec \\$1 \\$2 \\$3 setrgbcolor'
>   ..
>
> This works, up to a point.  The trouble is that it offsets the
> remainder of the text by 10 points down, presumably a line space.  How
> can I get rid of this?  I've tried adding a \v'-10p' to the macro, but
> this has no effect.
>
> Apart from that question, of course, there's a more obvious one: is
> there a better way to do this?

What I do is define strings such as

  .ds BLUE \X'ps: exec 0 0 1 setrgbcolor
  .ds BLACK \X'ps: exec 1 1 1 setrgbcolor

and then you have no formatting problems if you do

  This will change to \*[BLUE]blue-coloured text and then
  \*[BLACK]back to black text.

(and it's also obvious to the reader what's happening).

Of course you can interpolate a ".ds" anywhere without
affecting layout, if you need a colour you have not yet
defined.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972