Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:56:49 -0500

Christian Jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Rob Scovell wrote:
>
>> When I was having problems with my IPA font, I set GROFF_FONT_PATH
>> to /usr/ share/groff/font/devps long before I discovered that I
>> should have been putting the font in the version directory. However,
>> groff still couldn't find my new font.
>
> And I had put my font in the right directory to begin with and still
> got the same error as you.
>
>> I am happy now and don't need an answer to this ... this is just for
>> the record.
>
> Then how about a question: could you tell us (me) exactly what you
> did to get it to work?

After Werner pulled my ears, I tried using GROFF_FONT_PATH and have it
working know[1]; this is actually explained in the manual (info pages
installed by default in 1.18.1 and CVS snapshots). Namely,
GROFF_FONT_PATH and GROFF_TMAC_PATH are "additive* to the builtin search
paths (check the generated defs.h file in your compilation dir tree
after running configure).

I wanted to install my copies of Georgia and Verdana[2] and my Spanish
hyphenation patterns somewhere safe. So I created a directory called
$HOME/.groff-fonts and another called $HOME/.groff-tmac; then added the
lines:

export GROFF_FONT_PATH=$HOME/.groff-fonts/
export GROFF_TMAC_PATH=$HOME/.groff-tmac/

to my .bash_profile.

Now, there is nothing special to GROFF_TMAC_PATH, except in the case of
additions and modifications to the mm macros. You need to place those in
a subdirectory called mm (mimicking the structure
in -/share/groff/<version>/tmac/, the system install dir).

For GROFF_FONT_PATH, you need to replicate the structure
in -/share/groff/<version>/font/, that is, I placed my font files in
$HOME/.groff-font/devps/.

[1]But I still advocate a site-font directory, for system-wide
availability of house-style fonts and such, but as *complimentary* to
the kpathsea style directory search.

[2]This is another story, how to create a type42 font for using with
grops. Christian, noblesse oblige therefore I am writing the font doco
this weekend.