Re: [Groff] how to include references?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] how to include references?
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:25:06 +0100

Hi Ulf,

> i have a file "biblio.ref" as the database with  entries like
> %A humpty dumpty

    $ cat biblio.ref
    %A Eric P. Allman
    %T Writing Papers with NROFF using -me
    %I University of California Berkeley
    %D 1986
    %P 19

    %A Eric P. Allman
    %T -me Reference Manual
    %I University of California Berkeley
    %D 1986
    %P 16

> in my text file "text.ms" in the same directory i have
> .
> .R1
> database biblio.ref
> .R2

> .[
> [ ] humpty dumpty
> .]

    $ cat text.ms
    .R1
    database biblio.ref
    .R2
    Use me's manual
    .[
    [ ] -me Reference Manual
    .]
    as a test.

> but then
>
> groff -R -ms text.ms > text.ps
>
>  generates an error message
> "missing .R2 line"
> "unknown command .R2"
> and than all the following commands aren't recognized any more.

    $ groff -Tascii -R -ms text.ms |cat -s

    Use me's manual1 as a test.

    -----------
      1 Eric  P.  Allman, -me Reference Manual, p. 16,
      University of California Berkeley (1986).

> what am i doing wrong, and how is this done properly?

Sorry, I don't know what you're doing wrong.  I guess a couple of small
test files from you that show the problem would let us see if we can
re-create it.  Alternatively, try my ones above.

What version are you using?

    $ groff -v -Tascii -R -ms text.ms
    GNU groff version 1.17.2
    called subprograms: