Re: [Groff] UTP ducoment translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice

From: Rob Scovell
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP ducoment translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:48:51 +1200

Why argue about these things? It's like arguing the relative merits of articulated trucks and Honda Civics. They all serve a purpose. What the hell is wrong with HTML manpages? Somebody please tell me! Better an HTML manpage than no manpage or worse, one of those manpages where there are just empty section headings. Even if you're on a 486 without X, you can still view with lynx, n'est-ce pas?

PDFs are a good alternative to printed manuals -- don't knock 'em! (Although when I've bought an expensive piece of software I'd rather have a nice chunky paper manual to take to my favourite café than just a CD.)

You wouldn't look at a Honda Civic and complain that it won't carry your house contents across country, or moan about the difficulty of getting an artic into your garage.

I am grappling with groff because I have reached the limits of FrameMaker for something I am working on. However, I will still happily use FrameMaker where it suits, and (very reluctantly) Word where that suits.

I have many, many gripes against Word but we live in a world where lots of people use it. It is the de facto standard in business communication and (sadly) many other areas too. I won't waste space here by listing my gripes -- they would probably be shared by most people who care about quality software and typography, the reason why I guess most people on this list are using groff.

I would echo the sentiment, 'Don't confuse the users with the program.' Some of my closest friends, not to mention my wife, use Word, and I will not hear a word said against them! (Oops -- absolutely no pun intended!)

PS -- I know this is sort of meta-groff talk. Is that welcome on here or is it too way off topic?

Rob