Re: [Groff] UTP style?

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP style?
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:10:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Personally, I with Meg in disliking the indented appearance, however I
> long ago got used to it and fell we should stick with it because, as Jon
> says, well-known and respected computing books do, Kernighan can be
> added to that list.  Also, it's the norm in literature, not just
> computing.

True, this was how I was taught in elementary school.  It works well when
the text is mostly paragraphs and lists, even the long examples in Stevens
work okay.  This book as a lot of 1-3 line indented "examples" with a
sentence or two between them.  Sometimes the following text is indented
and sometimes it is not.  It seems to me that the non-indented paragraphs
set off the indented examples better, but this is probably a discussion we
should have for the rewritten book.

I do think we should leave the spaces between the paragraphs, though.  I'm
not a huge whitespace fanatic but in this case, I think it helps.

The centered two-column tables are bothering me, though, and those were not
in the original book.  Do the -ms/utp macros allow a table inside a .Ps?  That
would get the two-column tables lined up with the other indents on the page
easily -- I think it would improve the appearance of the pages significantly.

meg