Re: [Groff] a calling interface for shell scripts in groff

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] a calling interface for shell scripts in groff
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:34:28 +0100

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 10:02:08PM +0200, Bernd Warken wrote:
> Shell scripts run much faster and more compatible with the `ash' shell.
> But as `ash' is not available at each system it cannot be provided by
> the `#! /bin/ash' method.  Are there any ideas about how this could be
> solved?

I think that this should be left up to the system administrator. For
instance, the Debian ash package offers optionally to change the /bin/sh
symlink to point at ash. I would rather see shell scripts remain written
in POSIX sh and using '#! /bin/sh', so that any shell may be used
conveniently.

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden