Re: [Groff] UTP markup

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP markup
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:18:36 -0700 (PDT)

> Actually I don't ever set it.  It just uses the default 10/12 that
> you recommend.  I probably should set it explicitly since some of
> the other macros assume that normal text is 10/12.

These settings are totally ignored by -Thtml, right?  Given the
primacy of HTML these days, we should probably take care not to
do anything that messes that up.

> Ah.  I did misunderstand.  I know there are prebuilt version
> available,
> but it's been a while since I dealt with them.  I *know* somebody on
> the list can help you with that.

That would be lovely.  Is the prebuilt version in ASCII, postscript,
pdf, html...?  It seems to me that the ideal situation would be
to build it into html and put it on the website.

> > We might want to add something like "Preface to the Open Source
> > Edition" just to put things in perspective for the unsuspecting
> > novice who might happen across this.  That would give us an
> > opportunity to mention groff and explain how this book is useful
> > for groff users and such.  Just a thought.  I'm not sure that
> > X/Open or Caldera has the teeth or the interest to make a stink
> > about this, but it is probably a small effort to do it right
> anyhow.
>

> Good idea

Shall I start scratching on this?  I don't think I have the original
book -- is this the Kraale book or another one?  I should try to find
a copy of the original book to have in hand.  With the precise info,
I can look around to see if I can score one.

meg