Re: [Groff] roff mime types

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] roff mime types
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:27:24 -0400

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 08:43:57PM +0200, Bernd Warken wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 07:38:09AM +0200, Bernd Warken wrote:
> > > On my Linux system, the files /etc/mime.types has:
> > >
> > > application/x-troff             t tr roff
> > > application/x-troff-man         man
> > > application/x-troff-me          me
> > > application/x-troff-ms          ms
> > >
> > > This confirms what is "officially" considered an extension for a roff
> > > file.
> > >
> > > But `mm' and `mom' are lacking.
<snip>
> Official MIME types are assigned by IANA (see RFCs 2045 to 2049,
> particularly 2048). However, x- media types such as those listed above
> are considered proposed and/or experimental and do not require
> registration before use.
>
> As far as I can see, there are no MIME types currently registered with
> the IANA for *roff. The contents of /etc/mime.types are up to the OS.

I believe Colin is right in this.

Speaking for mom <grin>, the issue is less the assignment of a mime
type than the choice of how .mom documents should be displayed (i.e.
the handler line in mailcap).  Given that mom's primary focus is the
preparation of printed documents, displaying mom documents in a term
doesn't make much sense, hence trying to make her behave like a man
page doesn't make sense either.

With a mime.type

    application/x-troff-mom mom

and a mailcap handler

    application/x-troff-mom ; /usr/bin/groff -mom -X '%s' ; test=test -n
"$DISPLAY"

apps linked to MIME display mom documents nicely with gxditview.

With

    application/x-troff-mom ; /usr/bin/groff -mom '%s' | gv - ; test=test -n
"$DISPLAY"

mom documents display in gv.

The key thing is that where mom is concerned, the mime.type entry
doesn't matter; it's what goes in mailcap that counts.  Ergo, users
wanting MIME to handle mom documents should probably write their own
mime.type entry and mailcap line(s), either in /etc or in their home
directories.

I can always add instructions for this in the mom documentation.  Any
thoughts?

--
PTPi
Peter Schaffter

A confirmed GNU/Linuxer. Sorry, I don't do Windows.