Re: [Groff] UTP Transcription Project

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP Transcription Project
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:00:28 -0400

Stewart Russell wrote:

> > ch00 (Preface) - Stewart Russell
> > ch01 (From Typewriters to Word Processors) - Stewart Russell
> > ch02 (UNIX Fundamentals) - Stewart Russell
>
> sent to Larry under separate cover.

And I have them. Thanks muchly!

> > Things will go much easier
> > if we all start each sentence at the beginning of a new line
>
> ah, my output is pretty much straight from OmniPage, with some trivial
> corrections.

Oh well. Nothing that can't be fixed with a script.

> Some public-spirited sould should get the Vividata OCRShop 30-day trial,
> and bang the rest of the text through that. Unless you're a demon
> keyboarder, proof correction from OCR is often quicker than typing.

Unfortunately for me, my last experience with OCR was ca. 1990.
We had a 200-page document with no source files, tried OCR'ing it,
and ended up having a typist do it for us. I'm sure the technology
has improved since then. :-)  I've had an email off-list from a
kind soul who took your advice about OCRshop and is grabbing the
PBM tarball as I type.

Status report later tonight....

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the