[Groff] Possible Difference Between Bell Labs and GNU?

From: ralph
Subject: [Groff] Possible Difference Between Bell Labs and GNU?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:24:49 +0000

Hi,

In putting together

    http://troff.org/prog.html#dformat

I noticed that my GNU groff-built version of Bentley's packet diagram
looks different from his.

Attached are two PDF files.  belllabspic.pdf is page nine from
Bentley's CSTR 142 with the text cut away.  gnupic.pdf is the same
dformat source run through GNU groff.

Zooming in with gv shows a few differences.

    Bentley has more space between eqn's sub text than I do, e.g.
    `Chunk m', and around the - in `Data sub {n-1}'.

    He has more dashes vertically in the top right box yet the same
    number and spacing horizontally.

    The dots used to draw the diagonal lines are bigger in Bentley's.
    In mine they look a bit washed out.

There may be others.

It's possible his paper's diagram isn't built from the dformat input
given in the paper, but I doubt it.

Are we trying to match exactly?  I'd have thought so, otherwise
carefully tailored drawings worsen under GNU.

Is there a `to do' list these things can go on, if they're valid.

Cheers,

Ralph.