Re: [Groff] more on ellipsis...

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] more on ellipsis...
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:15:16 +0100

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:19:41PM +0000, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Just heard from the Style Editor of The Guardian:
> >
> > No full stop. We would just finish the sentence with ellipsis, like this ...
>
> INSERT INTO pigeons (data) VALUES ('cat')

There is a problem to implement this.  To correctly handle the end of
a sentence, a full stop must be provided.  The ellipsis does not know
about this.  To satisfy both the 4- and the 3-dotters, we could define
another char \[ell2] that prints only two dots with the right spacing.

This prints 3 dots at the end \[ell2].
This prints 4 dots at the end \[ell].

Bernd Warken