Re: [Groff] Bugs in mm, accents, multi-line macros and font glyp

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bugs in mm, accents, multi-line macros and font glyp
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:18:44 +0100

> Hi Alejandro,
>
> On 08-Jan-02 P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
> > When using multi-line macros such as .WA/.WE and .IA/.IE,
> > the acent macros do not work, while using high bit latin1
> > codes does. I am sure this happens in other macros as well.
> > See the attached example files.
>
> I am not sure why this does not work. However, it is not
> just the "accent macros" which do not work: the whole
> string sequence "\*:" etc is output literally in your
> PDF file, i.e. "\*" is not being interpreted as the lead-in
> for a defined string reference. This must have something
> to do with the definition of .WA etc., which I have not had
> time to investigate to the point of finding out why it happens.

The escape mechanism is being turned off in WA and IA,
although I have no idea why this should be necessary.
At least in the example letter it seems to work correctly
if we comment out the ".eo" lines.  In my opinion it would
only make sense to turn the escape mechanism off if the
text will be reinterpreted a second time (instead of
formatting it directly into a diversion), for example
by storing the text in a macro (.de instead of .di) and
later invoking that macro with escapes enabled.