Re: [Groff] inconsistent synopsis for .MAILTO

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistent synopsis for .MAILTO
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:06:09 +0000

I wrote:

> Bernd Warken writes:
> > The www.tmac macro .MAILTO has synopsis
> > .MAILTO address@hidden "description"

> > while both .URL and .FTP have
> > .URL "description" prot:://host/dir/file

> > I think it's still time to fix this before the new groff release.

> thanks for spotting this, yes will do..

ouch, it is not so straight forward as I originally thought.
There are three alternatives I see

 (i)   leave it alone
 (ii)  alter MAILTO
 (iii) alter FTP and URL to flip $1 <-> $2

The second doesn't make much sense as the second argument to MAILTO
is optional. But if we go for (iii) which provides logical consistency,
but it will break many -mwww documents in many places I suspect.

Do we want to do this?

Gaius