Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1

From: Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:55:09 -0500

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 02:05:25AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I must say that fonts which have such `quotes' really force the user
> to use Unicode.  From a typographical point of view I fully agree that
> it is ugly.  But 'foo' as a substitute for `foo' is simply not
> acceptable to me in many situations.  For example, think of a man page
> documenting Lisp.  `(...) and '(...) are completely different things.

...in which case the characters aren't being used semantically as quotes
of any kind, and should be included literally in the manpage, and not
via a device-dependent indirection such as \(oq or \(cq.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.