[Groff] Re: Euro symbol in groff

From: michael
Subject: [Groff] Re: Euro symbol in groff
Date: 13 Dec 2001 19:08:19 -0000

> Officially, you are right.  Inofficially, nobody cares.  And right so.
> It was a bad decision to approve a logo instead of specifying it on an
> abstract level.  Adobe's designs are quite nice, contrary to others --
> the problem is that many foundries haven't recognized that the Euro
> symbol is a modified Greek eta and not a Latin uppercase C with two
> horizontal bars...

Well, bad decision or not, there is only one Euro symbol by definition
now.  I see your point in supporting fonts with characters that look
similar to a Euro symbol, though.  As long as the documentation makes a
clear point that those characters are _not_ Euro symbols, but artistic
variations of it, it is fine with me.  To avoid confusion, I suggest
even not to name artistic variation of the Euro symbol [eE][uU].

> This is a political thing.  I've received requests to add latin-2 and
> russian which are both much more important than latin-9 IMHO, and I've
> rejected them.  Unfortunately, I'm not a fast worker (having only some
> of my spare time for groff), and Unicode input support is still a
> dream.  Even the revision of the color implementation isn't here.
> Sigh.

Are you talking about Latin9 input or output? I only care about output.

Michael