Re: [Groff] What should me/mm/ms.. be for?

From: Jaap-Jan Boor
Subject: Re: [Groff] What should me/mm/ms.. be for?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:55:42 +0100 (MET)

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'd like to appeal to the extensive knowledge and
> historical experience of readers for a possible
> anzswer to a question which has intrigued me ever
> since I have been using troff/groff.
>
> The main macro packages for cocument formatting ared
> 'man', 'me', 'mm', 'ms'.
>
> The question is: what are these respectively best
> suited for? Or, maybe more precisely, what were they
> originally intended to be best suited for?

I think the Unix V7 manuals only talk about man and ms,
that where the original macros from Bell Labs

me is from BSD, don't know why the Berkely people started
with me. I think I remember complaints about Bell specific
macros, like AT&T site locations. Me is a substitute for ms
I think.

mm is from Sys III and later, which should fix
some ms weaknesses and or problems. So mm is also ment
as a substitue for ms

regards,

Jaap-Jan