Re: [Groff] end position of D commands

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] end position of D commands
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:52:01 -0000 (GMT)

On 31-Oct-01 Bernd Warken wrote:

> Moreover, the argument based ending rule is not consistent with the
> classical definition.  The classical troff manual says:
>
>   The position after a graphical object has been drawn is at its end;
> for circles and ellipses, the "end" is at the right side.

As so often, this depends on how you interpret the classical troff
manual. They don't always spell it out. The classical troff
definition is consistent with

  "The end of a drawn object defined by coordinates is the position
   reached at the last coordinate. The end of an ellipse or
   circle is at its right side."

The [g]troff manual only spells this out.

> Note that the end of the drawing is specified, not the end of the
> command arguments.  The polygons end at their starting point, so this
> should be their place after drawing.

see above.

y>
>> ... \Z ...
>
> This seems to be undocumented.  man(7) refers to the info file, but
> I couldn't find it there.  The classical \Z is just the letter /.

This is (or should be) documented in "man troff" in groff:

  \Z'anything'
     Print anything and then restore the horizontal and vertical
     position; "anything" may not contain tabs or leaders.

(By the way, I hate "info" and never use it ... ).

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972