Re: [Groff] indentation for eqn

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] indentation for eqn
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:05:19 +0200 (CEST)

> > > The following patch allows to indent the eqn commands .EQ and
> > > .EN.
>
> > I don't think that's a good idea.  It's one thing to make an
> > internal troff request match all the others but .EQ is outside
> > troff proper and this therefore seems something new.  Given that
> > tbl, etc., will all need to be changed too shouldn't there be some
> > discussion first?

I agree.  I know for sure that some people use the fact that

  .so

and

  . so

behave differently (the latter is interpreted by troff only and
ignored by soelim).  This is useful to read in macro files which
shouldn't be expanded.

While I like the idea of indented preprocessor tags, I must stay
realistic and have to say that this is probably one of the most
incompatible changes we've ever discussed on this list.  As Ralph
already pointed out, too many programs not packaged with groff would
have to be changed also.

Thus, with a bleeding heart, I have to reject the idea.