Re: [Groff] Page header angst

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Page header angst
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:57:50 +0100

Hi Deirdre,

> I've been using the ms macros, which have been fine except for one
> thing I can't figure out how to do: change the flipping page header.
> On the second and subsequent pages, I get the -2- but I need to
> change that. Standard mss format has Author/Title on the left,
> nothing in the center, and page number on the right for pages 2 on.
>
> Overriding the .np macro didn't do anything, and everything else I've
> tried hasn't helped. Am I really missing something that obvious?

I don't know where it is documented, haven't time to look right now,
but examining the ms macro package source shows changing three strings
should do it.

    .ds LH lh contents
    .ds CH ch -\\n[PN]- contents
    .ds RH rh contents

(Left Header, Centre Header, ...)

> Other than putting .BD on each line between paragraphs (messy, as it
> makes plain text viewing of the writing more awkward), is there any
> way to suppress the extra line? If not, I can change the '\n\n\t' to
> '\n.BD\n\t' in the python script prior to running it through groff.

The .blm (see troff(1) request executes the given macro whenever a
blank line of input is seen.  That may help.

    .blm BD

Cheers,

Ralph.

> _Deirdre      rm -rf /bin/laden      http://deirdre.net

    % /bin/laden
    /bin/laden: Command not found.

What should happen when you execute /bin/laden?