Re: [Groff] Re: Point of order (schizophrenia)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Point of order (schizophrenia)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:30:18 +0100

Hi Clarke,

> Not funny.  No offense intended, but you are perpetuating a myth
> about a mental illness that offends those whose lives are affected by
> schizophrenia.

As you say, no offence intended.  I don't know if you're aware of the
Unix program called fortune which gives a random chunk of text from a
`fortune cookie' database but that's what I used to generate two pieces
of `filler' text in the example.  In other words, I didn't choose
schizophrenia as the example and actually hardly read either of them.

> I realize your intent was humor, but unfortunately it is not at all
> funny to those who have to cope with the disease.  You are forgiven,
> but please do not repeat the offense, and perhaps you can find it in
> yourself to bring this problem to the attention of others when they
> make the same error.

You flatter yourself that I ask for forgiveness for what is clearly an
`act of fate'.  Also, you need to accept in life that humour will cover
many subjects, e.g. death, which can be offensive to some in particular
circumstances.  Lighten up.

This thread also seems OT for the groff list, if you've anything
further to say can I suggest you email me directly.

Ralph.