Re: [Groff] .ss problem

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] .ss problem
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:41:07 +0100

Hi,

> > In that case I think it is more fair to say that we have a GNU
> > troff but no GNU nroff.  Our troff just happens to be able to
> > output to tty-like devices [...]
>
> Well, actually that's really not too different from Unix troff:
> According to The Manual,
>
>   nroff necessarily cannot support all features of troff. Within that
>   limitation, it is the same as troff, and in fact there is only a
>   single program invoked by two different names.

The difference seems to be that the Bell Labs [nt]roff program has a
built in nroff back-end IIRC, i.e. it doesn't output ditroff
intermediate format, where as we use the gorgeously named grotty.  So
Bell Labs [nt]roff has more `if (TROFF) ... if (NROFF)' code in it.

Not just on output either, if NROFF is true then .ps is ignored,
checking for ligatures is skipped, etc.

Ralph.