Re: [Groff] underlining in nroff

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] underlining in nroff
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 02:10:55 -0500 (EST)

Werner LEMBERG writes [quoting me]:

> > So it does.  I'd call that a bug in less -- printing a space on top
> > of an underscore shouldn't change the visual appearance of the
> > underscore.
>
> Is it really a bug?  I don't think so.  I think the current solution
> in less (i.e. to make a visual difference between an underlined space
> and an underscore character) is good.  The only `limitation' is that
> an underscore character can't be underlined.

Why not?  If you're going to interpret "_^H " as an underlined space,
then it would only make sense to interpret "_^H_" as an underlined
underscore.  I stand by my original statement -- it's a bug in less,
probably caused by laziness, carelessness, and/or a display device where
the underline and the underscore line up.  Certainly "_" and "_ " are
indistinguishable when printed on a traditional TTY, and that's what
less is supposed to be emulating!

-Larry Jones

Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character. -- Calvin