Re: [Groff] hyphenation in words with explicit hyphen

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] hyphenation in words with explicit hyphen
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:15:36 +0100 (CET)

> > The distance between an explicit and
> > an implicit hyphenation point is about 6 characters.
>
> UK english doesn't use distance rules (whereas US English does, or
> tends to). It's all on syllables, and stress, which you can't work
> out unless you have a manually created table :-(

German also doesn't have distance rules, thus I've emphasized the term
`aestethical'.  It seems to me as a good rule of thumb to set up the
minimal allowed distance between an explicit and implicit hyphenation
point to 6 characters.  It won't affect the positions of hyphenation
breakpoints at all -- TeX's algorithm is used all the time.