Re: [Groff] absolute positioning

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] absolute positioning
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:12:52 -0500 (EST)

Hans-Peter Meiser writes:

>   I would like to print some text to an absolute position of the page.  I
> found in the troff manual (11.1. Local Motions) the /v and the /h commands
> but it sounds like a relative move command.

The absolute position indicator (|) prefixed to a number generates the
distance to that absolute position.  For example:

\h'1i'   \" move righ 1 inch

\h'|1i'  \" move (left or right) to 1 inch from left edge of page

-Larry Jones

He just doesn't want to face up to the fact that I'll be
the life of every party. -- Calvin