Re: [Groff] man page in perlscript

From: Andy Dougherty
Subject: Re: [Groff] man page in perlscript
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:12:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > <standard input>:3: warning: `di';' not defined (probable missing space
> > after `di')
> > <standard input>:4: warning: `ig00';' not defined (probable missing
> > space after
> > `ig')
>
> > what's the problem? is it groff? if i using "groff -man
> > <programname>" it's the same (only more error messages).  Please
> > help, i'm a newbie ;-)
>
> groff needs a space after commands, i.e. `.ig 00' instead `.ig00'.

This is correct.  (I can send you a fixed 'wrapman' script if you really
need it.)  However, a *much* better alternative is to use perl's "POD"
facility that allows you to mix man pages in with the perlscript.  See

        perldoc perlpod

You can then format your man pages with

        pod2man yourscript | nroff -man

(You can also use pod2html, pod2text, pod2latex, etc, on the same file.)

Hope this helps,

--
    Andy Dougherty              address@hidden
    Dept. of Physics