Re: [Groff] modern macros packages

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] modern macros packages
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:41:28 +0100 (CET)

> I am in West Africa, and have very limited Internet access, so have
> been unable to participate on the mailing list.  Do you know if
> there are any projects to develop a modern macro set, that take
> advantage of some of the more modern features of the system, and
> that make groff more accessible to the casual user?  Groff is long
> overdue for an update to the MS/ME/MM packages.

AFAIK, noone is working on an update of ms and me currently.  A GNU
implementation of mm is continuously maintained by Jörgen Hägg; the
latest release is now part of groff.

Currently, I'm completely revising mdoc to remove limitations and to
improve its behaviour.

> I have developed a macro package for personal use called "gump"
> (macro package for groff users), and I am wondering if there would
> be any wider interest in this project?

Do you have an URL for this so that I can add it to the MORE_STUFF
file of the groff package?  Otherwise, if it is not too large, please
send it to the address@hidden list (don't worry about being a member;
I'll forward it properly), probably as an uuencoded .tar.gz archive or
as a mail attachment.