Re: [Groff] new groff directory structure

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] new groff directory structure
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:23:22 +0000

Hi,

> Am I wrong in assuming that this feature is not normally required by
> an average user (on all systems, not only on DOS/Windows)?  If I'm
> not wrong, why not make it an optional behavior?  I think TeX/Web2c
> doesn't support such multi-version installations, to take one
> example.

Nor do other multi-program packages, like GhostScript.

If I wanted to have multiple versions installed and switch between them
then I'd arrange for separate installation directories and then use
PATH to switch between them.  I'd expect them to follow PATH by
default.

I could do this either with a simple wrapper script, or by making it
easy to edit my PATH to contain the required directory.

Having every package provide this facility in differing ways doesn't
seem the `right thing' IMHO.

Ralph.