Re: [Groff] influencing page size on build

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] influencing page size on build
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:28:56 +0100 (BST)

On 21-Sep-00 Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> G Hasse wrote:
>>
>> I patch the /usr/share/groff_font/devps/DESC file and change
>> the value "paperlength 843400"
>
> This file did not exist on my system. It seems to be trying to parse
> something in /etc, and getting it wrong (not everyone runs DNS). I'd
> like to be able to set the option explicitly, rather than have
> configure go through lots of heuristics and get it wrong.

A follow-up.

Looking through the stuff in "configure", my guess is that is you
set

  export PAGE=A4

(if using bash, or whatever it is that exports an envar if not)
prior to running configure, then it will probably work in that
I think all those flaky guesses about where your machine lives
(based on the last component of its domain name) will be bypassed
by failure of the test

  if test -z "$PAGE"

and $PAGE will end up with the desired value. For those whose
groff comes pre-compiled (e.g. on a Linux distribution of US
origin), editing the DESC file is still the only way to go ...

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749
Date: 21-Sep-00                                       Time: 13:28:56