Re: [Groff] nop request

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] nop request
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:19:06 +0100

Hi,

> > > .eo
> > >
> > > .\" The function `xxx'
> > > .de xxx
> > >   .do-something \$1 \$2 \$3
> > > ..
> > >
> > > .ec
> > >
> > > I strongly believe that you get better code to understand if you
> > > can avoid the doubling of the backslash.
>
> BTW, to support this better I will introduce three new commands:
>
>   .ecs xx      Save current escape character.
>   .ecr xx      Restore escape character saved with .ecs

Can't \e be used instead?

    .ds x \e
    .ds y @
    .ec \*[y]
    escape char is @e
    .ec \*[x]
    escape char is \e

Why the special commands?  Are you worried about not knowing the
current escape character when you want to save it?  If so, isn't just a
convention that it is always backslash when source macro packages, etc.
If you change it locally you should change it back before using others
code.

I'm after a little more understanding as to why new commands are
necessary.

Ralph.