[Groff] RE: Am I missing a trick?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: [Groff] RE: Am I missing a trick?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 23:22:56 +0100 (BST)

On 04-Aug-00 Ted Harding wrote:
> I'm looking for a method of placing text at a fixed absolute
> position on the current page, by placing something at an arbitrary
> point in the input. The only apparent mechanism involves the
> "absolute position indicator", | .

Sorry, I should have said that I'm aware of using the \! mechanism
to pass something straight through. For instance (considering the
example I gave before)

  In the course of this line, at this \Z'\h'|3i'\v'|6i'WORD'point we ...

where I would like to place "WORD" 3 inches in and 6 inches down, this
could be achieved (knowing that the PostScript device uses units of
1/1000 points or 1/72000 inch) by

  In the course of this line, at this
  \!H216000
  \!V432000
  \!TWORD
  point we ...

which would have the required effect. However, this is (a) clumsy,
(b) not device-independent, (c) does not lend itself to formatted text,
though OK for single words.

Also, it puzzles me that such an obvious need does not seem to have been
provided for in troff or in groff (unless, of course I am indeed missing a
trick).

What I basically want to do is to move, inline, to any absolute position
on the current output page, do something, and move back to where I was.

Cheers,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749