Re: [Groff] Page classes in groff output to support reordering o

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] Page classes in groff output to support reordering o
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

address@hidden writes:

> 1. A new \X'ps: ...' command like
>    \X'ps: pagenumformat F' where F may be as in troff .af, namely
>    1 001 i I a A

I think this is too restricted in scope to be useful.  What you really
want is a way to communicate the user-visible page number to any back
end, not just grops.  And the user-visible page number can be quite
complex: "2-1", "Index 2", "2.3", etc., so I think it needs to be a
string, it needs to be something that a macro package can do (since each
macro package formats page numbers differently), and it needs to be
device-independent.

-Larry Jones

I can feel my brain beginning to atrophy already. -- Calvin