Re: [Groff] New version of the grolbp driver

From: Andy Dougherty
Subject: Re: [Groff] New version of the grolbp driver
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:57:23 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> >      The only problem that I've found is with the removal of the tbl
> > preprocessing when generating grolbp.n.

> My man system automatically uses `-t' (resp. can be adjusted with an
> environment variable).

> Thus I believe it is better to not call tbl in advance -- there is the
> `grog' command to assist people in finding out which preprocessor
> should be used.

There is a very widespread convention to embed the necessary preprocessor
commands as a comment in the first line of the man page.  Thus, if you
want to use tbl, you put

         '\" t

as the first line in the file.  If you want both tbl and eqn, you put

         '\" te

The man package shipped with most linux distributions honors this
directive.  You can run man --debug to see what preprocessors the man
program thinks it needs to run.

    Andy Dougherty              address@hidden
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042