RE: [Groff] widow control request

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] widow control request
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:03:44 -0000 (GMT)

On 11-Feb-00 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Has anybody ever tried the widow control code?
>
> There exists a `wdc' request which is only available if the macro
> `WIDOW_CONTROL' is defined during compilation of troff.
>
> Why is this code disabled?  Is it incomplete?  As usual, it is
> completely undocumented...

There is a bunch of stuff in the code which is trapped inside
comile-conditions. Not only widow-control, but also what looks like
a whole suite of requests for column formatting.

None of this has ever got into a public groff; I guess it was experimental
code which James Clark wasn't happy with.

As you say, there is no hint of it in the documentation, and there is
almost no clue in the code in the way of comment-lines either.
These include:

.colj    column_justify
.colo    column_output
.colr    column_reset
.cols    column_start
.colt    column_trim
.nvj     no_vjustify
.psr     get_requested_point_size
.sr      get_requested_point_size_string
.vj      vjustify

I've been intrigued by these for some time, but have never got
round to trying to trace out from the code what they do, and
how they should be invoked ...

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 12-Feb-00                                       Time: 11:03:43