RE: [Groff] Segmentation fault in grops

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Segmentation fault in grops
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:57:57 -0000 (GMT)

On 03-Feb-00 Freudenberger Joerg wrote:
> Hallo
>
> The most productive way is to write a special C Program.
>
> If you have a *nix shell with tool look for tr(1):
>               tr '[<binary lf>]' '[<binary cr>]' < In > Out
>
>       (The real difficulty with the tr solution is it needs
>       an editor, which is able to store the binary characters
>       and the run environment must not change it
>               (I got trouble on NT and failed))

This must depend on which version of 'tr' you are using.

The GNU textutils version (as on Linux) allows escape sequences
such as \r , \n and so on (as in C). So the line

   cat infile | tr '\r' '\n' > outfile

will work. I have just checked the 'tr' on an old Solaris, and
while it does not support \r , \n etc it does support octal
representations, so that

   cat infile | tr '\015' '\012' > outfile

would work.

Finally, the GNU textutils (and other utilities) are also
available ported to many non-UNIX systems (including DOS),
though some functionality may be reduced.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 03-Feb-00                                       Time: 12:57:57