RE: [Groff] the HOWTO progresses (but Oh so slowly)

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] the HOWTO progresses (but Oh so slowly)
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 20:30:50 -0000 (GMT)

On 07-Jan-00 Dean Allen Provins wrote:

> On the HOWTO front, I have added a section on 'ms' macros.  It takes
> the form of two tables which I set up in three columns:  macro type
> (my definition), macro name with arguments, and a description that I
> thought was appropriate.
>
> Why did I do that?  Because there was no 'ms' documentation, and I
> thought that as the HOWTO emphasizes 'ms' use, I should include
> something.  Now I discover that Ted is writing something, and that
> another mail list contributor has found some documents (Sigh - who
> would have thought that a dead connection would have caused me so much
> unnecessary and redundant work).
>
> Ted, I apologize if I appear to have redone what you are doing.  If, on
> the other hand, you haven't gotten that far, please feel free to edit
> and use the material which I am appending to this note (I think that
> I will include my tables in the HOWTO though, just for completeness -
> hope you don't mind).

Hi Dean,

Please don't worry! All is helpful and I look forward to reading through
what you have written. I'm also most grateful for your open permission
to use it!

Just to let people know some details of where I'm heading: I'm planning
a 2-section (possibly 3-section) ms "user's reference manual" which
will have the following:

1. A sequential description of what happens when the ms-macros are
   read in (what gets defined, where defaults come from, how they
   can be changed, etc; and what state gtroff is put into as a
   result), including a description of the internal (i.e. "ms-private")
   macros and variables -- since users who want to customise ms may need
   to redefine some of these -- and of their inter-dependencies.

2. A table -- along traditional lines and presumably similar to
   Dean's document -- of the user-level macros (.LP amd all that)
   with all parameters/arguments and effects. At this stage, Dean's
   document will be most helpful.

Possibly -- if at the end of the day it looks worth while -- an
Appendix consisting of fully-annotated complete ms-macro source.

I shall also include (either in a separate section or sprinkled around
where appropriate) suggestions about how to modify or extend macros
in useful ways.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>