Re: [Groff] Re: ms docs?

From: T. Kurt Bond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: ms docs?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 14:48:18 -0500 (EST)

Eddie Maddox writes:
> Now, about ms docs. Given that Gaius used ms to recode the Groff Web site,
> and I don't know it, and I am suppose to be the Web Master (as in Ship's
> Master?) around here, that means the Groff Web site, as of right now, is
> No Longer Maintainable, except for the bare necessities, which we already
> have.

The paper "Typing Documents on the UNIX System: Using the -ms Macros
with Troff and Nroff", by M. E. Lesk, November 13, 1978, is available
from R. Stevens' page:

    http://www.kohala.com/start/troff/troff.html

The direct URL is

    http://www.kohala.com/start/troff/v7man/msmacros/msmacros.ps

There is a paper available somewhere called "A Revised Version of
-ms", by Bill Tuthill that documents some changes to -ms that were
made for BSD.

The documentation for troff/ditroff is available from

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr.html

Some direct URLs are:

    CSTR #54, J. F. Ossanna, Nroff/Troff User's Manual, Bell Labs,
    1976. Revised by Brian Kernighan, 1992.

        http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/54.ps.gz

    CSTR #97, B. W. Kernighan, A Typesetter-Independent TROFF, Bell
    Labs, 1981, revised March 1982

        http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/97.ps.gz

    CSTR #116, Brian W. Kernighan, PIC -- A Graphics Language for
    Typesetting (Revised User Manual).  Bell Labs, December 1984.

        http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/116.ps.gz

There other troff related tech reports there as well.

More troff related documentation is available from

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/papers.html

The Unix Seventh Edition Manual, which contains other troff related
documentation, is available from

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/

Perhaps permission could be obtained to include some of these
materials in the groff distribution?  CSTR #54 would be especially
useful.
--
T. Kurt Bond, address@hidden