grep-devel

Re: grep-3.3.42-088f test results on AIX

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: grep-3.3.42-088f test results on AIX
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 19:11:19 +0100

Hi Jim,

> Here's a slightly tighter test, albeit relying on tr working with octals:
>
>   case `LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 printf '\351'| tr '\351' x` in x) ;; *) exit 1;;
> esac

You're right, it's probably better to rely on 'tr' than on 'od'.

Find attached an updated proposed patch.

> Also, with archive/html URLs, please use the abbreviated form:
> - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grep-devel/2019-12/msg00020.html
> + https://lists.gnu.org/r/grep-devel/2019-12/msg00020.html

I prefer to use the canonical URLs, not the abbreviated ones. I can't find the
long explanation right now, but basically my reasoning is:
  - Using the canonical URL provides a less surprising experience for the user
    who pastes it in a browser.
  - For security reasons, we are teaching people to avoid URLs shorteners like
    bit.ly, goo.gl, etc. A URL shortener that preserves the host name, like
here,
    is less problematic, but still if I can avoid it, I avoid it.
  - When updating URLs every couple of years, my usual heuristic is to consider
    the current destination URL the "up-to-date" URL and the old one the "stale"
    URL that may go away at any moment.

As a human, I do not read (and don't expect people to read) a URL word by word.
Therefore it doesn't really matter whether it contains 60 or 80 or 120
characters.

Bruno