grep-devel

Re: grep-3.3.42-088f test results on AIX

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: grep-3.3.42-088f test results on AIX
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 09:45:03 -0800

On 12/26/19 3:32 AM, Bruno Haible wrote:
> The respawning condition
> in init.sh lines 159..175 could be extended to include printf '\351'.
> I've verified that the attached patch fixes the two reported tests from the
> 'grep' test suite.

Thanks, this is a better suggestion. However, it tests printf in the en_US.UTF-8
locale whereas grep's test cases (until yesterday) often ran printf in the
tester's locale. So in addition to Jim's suggestions, I suggest altering the
patch to check both the current locale and the en_US.UTF-8 locale; although not
a complete test it's probably good enough.

This is the sort of thing that leads me to think that LC_ALL="C" is the way to
go, at least for 'grep': the hassle we get in fixing bugs in the test scripts
and reproducing failures exceeds the benefit we get in somewhat more randomish
testing.

Jim, what do you think? Should I move that LC_ALL="C" setting into grep's
init.cfg, or drop the idea? It's not a big deal either way, of course.