grep-devel

Re: grep-3.3.42-088f test results on Android

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: grep-3.3.42-088f test results on Android
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 21:38:08 -0800

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 2:09 AM Bruno Haible <address@hidden> wrote:

> Seen on Android 4.3 with the 'Terminal IDE' app.
>
> FAIL: context-0
> FAIL: epipe
> FAIL: max-count-vs-context
> FAIL: reversed-range-endpoints
> FAIL: stack-overflow
> FAIL: two-files
> FAIL: warn-char-classes

Thanks for testing this.
These all appear to be due to the fact that using "atexit" evokes this
on stderr:

  grep: generic atexit() called from legacy shared library

Thus, any test that expects certain output on stderr and also evokes
that new diagnostic fails. As such, I feel justified in ignoring these
failures.

Note that I **could** write a grep wrapper (used only via tests) that
would filter that sole line out of stderr, just to avoid these
failures, but that feels too much like sweeping dirt under the rug.
The library really should not write to stderr for that.