grace-general

[Grace-general] combined pitiless

From: Morgan May
Subject: [Grace-general] combined pitiless
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:50:43 +0200

I took HER for a refugee too: we rescued each other!
He began to wonder if, after all, she were much more than forty. Lady Beausedge shook out her boa and opened the Pall MallGazette.
As Durand looked at her she looked at him. Likemost shy men he was dazzled by unreasonable women.
Isaw that the curry was too strong for you, this young lady insinuatinglydeclared. He tried to read the girls thin ironic face, but her eyes and smile wereinscrutable.
Lady Beausedge shook out her boa and opened the Pall MallGazette. People wont put upwith amateurs, Lady Ivy reinforced her. Her blushes deepened, and she lost herself again in the abasing sense ofher inability to explain.
Its literally the first thing thats ever happened to her.
Come in to our canteen tonight and Ill tell you. Lord Beausedge was as much in character as his wife; only he belonged toa later period. The novelty,and all the old historic associations. Bless you, dont you suppose I can guess whats happened. It would have spoilt all Aunt Audreys fun if Lingerfieldhad known you werent a refugee.
I should know your spectacles anywhere, said Miss ClioRushworth gaily.
Yes, her sister-in-law grudgingly admitted.
She appealed to him with anxious eyes, and his own sank behind hisprotecting spectacles. Eventhat was something to be thankful for; but now he began to ask himself ifit were enough.
What right had he to bepretending to help a refugee?
He was more and more bewildered, and ashamed of his visibleincompetence.
Id no idea you were going up to town today, Audrey.
With exquisite tact Miss Rushworth smiled away his confusion.
Damned bad taste, all that sort of thing, he remarked, and continuedhis reading. Do people here just chuck dinners like that?
She poured the tea, and pushed his cup to him. He tried to read the girls thin ironic face, but her eyes and smile wereinscrutable. And, then, just as he had drawn this sage conclusion, he felt the suddenpounce of the Duchesss eye. You know Im going to carry you off presently, she said.
Come in to our canteen tonight and Ill tell you.
But the Committee telephoned methis morning to come up and meet a prima donna.