gpsd-users

Re: GSV strings not being parsed?

From: Ben Barker
Subject: Re: GSV strings not being parsed?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 05:13:53 +0000

Thanks - attached :-)
My current best guess is that "GSV being ignored" problem is down to the missing LF characters on the incoming GSV messages - so I'll see if there is anything I can do at the source!

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 11:33 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Ben!

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 21:17:00 +0000
Ben Barker <ben@bbarker.co.uk> wrote:

> Interesting. Running gpsd in debug mode shows me:

Not interesting enough.  No indication why the GSV is ignored.  Maybe
bump it up to -D 7.  A newer gpsd would show better logging.

Also, the raw.log is what I really need.

> tcpdump for the incoming UDP broadcast shows:

Not helpful.  I still need to know what the dots are.  Sending the
raw.log is best, but I could live with a .pcap.

> Looking at the traffic in wireshark, each of the GPGGA sentances ends
> with 0x0d 0x0a
> The GSV sentances terminate only with 0x0d

NMEA 3.0.1, Section 5.3.1 is clear.  Messages must end with <CR><LF>

> It seems likely you are expecting two bytes, and not getting them,
> for the GSV messages....

Yup.  Also, those strings of NULs (0x00) are concerning.

> 0000   ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 21 32 01 e0 cf 08 00 45 00

Your od dump is corrupted.  Please attach raw.log to list emails.
Attachments don't get mungned, by you, or the list server.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588